Thursday, October 4, 2012

Reflections on a "Old" Couple

Today I was reading a blog from a friend.  She is an amazing woman who I absolutely admire and adore.  She is funny, strong and spiritual, and so stinkn' photogenic it burns me up inside!  She was talking about all the thing she loves about her husband.  She was making sure that she would never forget and appreciate all the wonderful things about her new husband.  And she had a quote "Human nature dictates that I will eventually come to expect this sort of behavior and I will become less easy to impress". 
I started thinking about my own life and my relationship with Matt.  Do I always acknowledge the wonderful things that I love about my own husband? Have I come to expect a certain type of behavior and am less impressed?  After some reflection I realized that I do appreciate & acknowledge him and how fantastic he is.  Time has changed us, but as we have grown together we see new things that we love about each other and are still grateful for our marriage, friendship and relationship.  Granted, Matt is amazing and we have always had it easy.  I was a bride when I was 18, and I can honestly say I made the right choice.  Matt and I are so lucky that we had a chance to grow up together, sometimes people are "set in their ways" and find it difficult to adjust to life with other person.  For us we have always experienced our life with each other and tackled every problem as a team.  I know marriage is supposed to be work, but it's never been for us. Not because we don't work at it, but because we enjoy being with each other, working together, using all that we have to succeed.  I can only compare it to service.  It's like getting caught up in service and you know you are working, but you are having fun as you do it.  So to my friend, it is possible to keep those feelings alive, keep working at it, but believe me it's not really work in the end! There are great people out there, I am lucky enough to have one.

2 comments:

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

Thank you Terri. At least I think you were talking about me, I recognized the quote but you lost me on the amazing, photogenic bit. Anyway, I hope Greg and I can grow up and be just like you and Matt. The cuteness that oozes from the two of you is something to be admired. I love you and miss you :)

Beth said...

On my Google Reader feed, I read Emily's post, and then yours right after. I'm glad you two have good guys and so do I! Yay!