Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Night at the Symphony


Being a super-dork has it's perks, like... getting advanced email about super-dorky things. Like, The Legend of Zelda Symphony.  A conversation like this happened in my head "We have to go.  But who got to go? Matt and I yes, but would we bring our boys? To the Symphony? Wow, these tickets are expensive (and there are no kids tickets).  Okay let's do it.  What a great opportunity to experience the Symphony at a young age."

We were Literally at an amusement park in Orlando when I got this email. I was able to purchase tickets right there in Florida for my whole family (thank you modern technology).  Spending a boat loads of money for symphony tickets while on vacation is a little bit nuts and very scary. But the idea of tickets selling out and missing this was enough for me to do it.

So we decided to make a night out of it.  We dined at one of our favorite restaurants in Houston, Pronto!



We headed to Jones Hall, which is a great venue.  Matt and I have been to the Symphony before and it is wonderful.
What do you wear to the Zelda Symphony?  As it turns out, anything.  There were people in jeans and t-shirts.  There were people in formal wear.  And yes, there were plenty of people in costume!  I could have worn my Zelda costume and been a total celebrity, as it turns out I enjoyed the anonymity.  We did have a little hint of Zelda to make us feel special.  Our dress ended up being "Zelda Classy" or "Sheik Chic" (that's a little Zelda humor for the nerds out there).  The boys wore their Tri-force ties that I made. 




I wore my Hylian Crest earrings.  I was asked a number of times where I bought them.  I impressed all by simply saying they were key chains that I turned into earrings.  Yes, I'm a brilliant. I heard people talking about the ties too, it was very cool. 


The Symphony was breathtakingly amazing. You left feeling like a hero! We got to live each and every Zelda game with Link. The music is so iconic and is a soundtrack for our home. The visuals were just what you wanted to see to bring the feeling of the game to life.  The musicians were fantastic, I enjoyed watching the percussion section work so hard running back and forth to different instruments. Just when you thought the night had ended, they threw another encore at you! 
 I was worried about how the boys would behave.  We talked to them about what proper behavior at the symphony was, they knew they needed to be good.  But I didn't have to worry, they were so entranced by the music, the instruments and the visuals they could have sat there for 2 more hours.  There were not many children so it made me proud that Jason and Ian were so well behaved. It was such an wonderful night, I don't really have words for it.  I am so glad I have my memories and my family.  In case you were wondering, it was worth every penny.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Sheik Chic- Love it! :) You guys are the coolest geeks I have ever known!

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

You guys are so stinkin neardy and fun, I love it!