Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ian's Baptism

Well, I can honestly say it was the most interesting baptism I've ever been too! Let's get down to the laughable section - the water.  Sure the water is important for a baptism, some may some a very integral part of a baptism.  The missionaries arrived 2 hours prior to the Baptism to fill the font with water, we arrived 1 hour early and turned the water off.  We proceeded with the program and then it was time to baptize Ian.  The moment Matt stepped in the water he stepped right back out.  His feet were lobster red! The water was scalding hot.  And it had been sitting there for over an hour.  The plexy-glass barrier was totally steamed up.  We pulled the drain and started to add cold water.  Then we dumped in a bag of ice, it melted instantly! After about 20 minutes, we got the water down to a tolerable temperature and Ian proceeded in the font, only to get back out because it was still to hot, so we ran the cold water for a bit longer.  Finally we were able to get the ordinance taken care of.  Ian told Matt that he would always remember his baptism, (we thought for sure because he was going to say trying to cool the water, but he said) because "I felt the Spirit." "I want to tell everyone that I felt the spirit". He did, the next day, he bore his testimony about feeling the spirit after his baptism.  It's not about the water, or the talks (which were excellent) it was about the saving ordinances.  Matt has joked that he was baptized by fire and water at the same time, and sure we've all joked about cooking our food in the baptismal font. Or if you want to talk about how hot something is, you could say it's "Baptismal hot."  I'm so glad that we had family and friends travel with us to share in the "fun."  I will not forget his day either, he's my baby and I am so proud of his choices and his righteous decisions.

2 comments:

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

He felt the spirit, that is the sweetest!
I'm so glad you have dusted off your blog :)

Kelli said...

I still am trying to wrap my brain around him being old enough to be baptized. He's such a cutie and what a great experience (aside from the baptism by fire-ha!) that he recognized the spirit! Wonderful!