Monday, December 5, 2011

Halloween


 Oh, we really got our geek on this year! I will admit I'm a fan of dressing up for Halloween.  I also hate store bought costumes.  No, really I hate them.  Our family is obsessed with The Legend of Zelda, not a day goes by that we don't play it.  Why wouldn't we want to dress up like it?  Ian said that he wanted to be Ganondorf for Halloween, and Matt said that he couldn't because it would be too hard to make a costume... challenge accepted!  And so I set off, spending WAY too much time, and WAY to much money making these costumes.  But in the end I think we pulled it off!  A pretty good Link, Zelda and Ganondorf costumes, our triforce is complete! I had to make the Zelda costume all from scratch, it took some serious sewing skill and a lot of ingenuity to make Zelda come to life.  Aside from putting together the outfit, I embroidered the skirt just like the picture, and you can barely even see it, oh-well! The funny thing is I think the wig and the ears finally made the costume come to life!  In the end I think the highlight was having some nerd ask Zelda for a hug, and I gave him one.

Since I made the Link costume a few years ago, we just added a few new things, like greaves, an new bag and some leather ties.
We made Ganon from ground up, that cape alone was so much work.  I love how I got my 6 year old son to wear a headband! In the end his costume was awesome. Only I appreciate all the little details that I put in it, but hey, at least I'll always know. 

Why not show off, we had a great time sharing our costumes with people who know who we are at the Renaissance Festival. I still pat myself on the back for the creativity it took too come up with some of the costume challenges, including lasagna pans, foam, elastic and jewelry making supplies. And when it's all said and done, we might just do this again next year.



3 comments:

Cannon Clan said...

terri that is so funny. happy halloween in december for you and me :)

Sally said...

Costumes are masterpieces! You're awesome! My kids want you to make theirs next year! :)

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

I love your family! Nerdy, loving and fun. I wish you were still right next door :(